Wednesday, February 16, 2011

How To Be A DJ? Vinyl Vs. CD Vs. Mp3

Media

I am often asked about the mixing with vinyl vs. mixing with CDs or mp3 files. I will always show favoritism toward vinyl only because that is what I was using when I started. However, this is simply some nerdy DJ talk.

8 Track tape, vinyl, CD, DAT, Reel tape, mp3 on hard drive are all forms of media that hold the music. The last time I was at a HOT party, the woman were more interested in dancing their asses off than being concerned if the DJ was rocking vinyl or “Traktor”. In the big picture, good music is good music regardless of the media type it is played from.

I was a die hard vinyl purist at one point or another. Perhaps I might even admit now that I was afraid of the technology. I remember when I worked at the China Club with Mike “Hitman” Wilson, his producer friends would bring him unreleased music that was recorded that night in a studio down the street. Mike would not hesitate to cue up the song regardless if it was on vinyl, CD, or tape. At the end of the day, people either danced or sat down because of the quality of the song and not because it was playing from a CD. Again, this brings be back to my original point, good music is good music.

If you, your son, daughter, cousin, niece, friend or whatever wanted to start being a DJ today, I wouldn’t expect them to buy turntables or look for records which are NOT manufactured to begin with today. I would judge them on their music selection, presentation, and their ability to move the crowd.

Having the proper equipment goes a long way in aiding your presentation. You need to have the right tools for the right job. Ever try making a cake, needed a mixer, but had a blender?

No comments: